Friday, August 14, 2009
Aug 14th 2009
So they say we all should be like "palm trees", bending yet never breaking. Such an important mantra to live by, being able to adapt to situations no matter how taxing or intimidating; but rather riding out the storm and never giving up. The past couple of days have most definitely tested my will power and endurance levels on a most colossal scale.
To give you a little bit of a recap, I am currently working with the Office of Housing and Residence Life at George Mason University. During the academic year (fall-spring) I am considered a Resident Advisor, however this summer, since I decided to stick around, I became a "Conference Assistant"...basically meaning "summertime Resident Advisor" lol.
The job possesses the same philanthropies and policies at the regular Resident Advisor role (upholding policies, maintaining security and safety, as well as being an available resource for customer service and information). This summer we (meaning the summer staff) were registered to live in an one of the on campus apartment sectors. We were told that we were able to reside in this area as long as we stayed employed with them during the summer (till what was said to be sometime around Aug 21st). Yesterday around 5:00pm, I received an email stating that my room was being used as one of the "early arrival" spaces, AND that because they needed my space, I had to be out of my room by the next night. Sounds like an eviction right?....No no no, wait a second, if I'm not mistaking, even evicted tenants receive 48 hours before they are required to leave the premises....Anyways, I digress. The email stated that I was to move out of my summer assignment, and into my regular academic year rooming assignment. Not only had I not began packing, but I wasn't even anywhere close to being ready for this kind of move. Anywho, after hours upon hours of tiresome lifting, carrying, packing, grunting and groaning. Begging the Lord above to keep blessing me with strength and endurance; I've made it through the storm. I sit here in my fully furnished, cleaned, and organized room...tired, sore, bruised, scraped, and cut.....yet I am still alive, and most importantly not BROKEN.
The strength of one's own ambition, will always reign supreme in a battle of might. For it is not the physical strength we possess that allows us to move mountains, but it is the courage and endurance that allows us to conquer any type of adversity. Stay strong, and stay motivated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment